Saturday, April 28, 2012

Fashion Zombie

My oldest child is a complete Fashion Zombie. She has never cared what she was wearing, and now that she is getting older I feel like I have the responsibility to at least show her things should probably at least match. This has been a constant struggle, too. I mean, let's at least coordinate with what the weather will be like.

I should start this post with a confession. I am not a fashion hound either. I seriously do not care, and am pretty much a pants-and-tee person. I love yoga pants, and various t-shirts, including my husbands'. However, I do try to make them not look completely ridiculous together. Which is why all my pants are black. Heh.

After eating breakfast, I told the oldest child to go get dressed because her and her father were going to go to Lowe's Build & Grow in a few minutes. She does as I ask, and comes out in long black leggings and a long-sleeve t-shirt.

I remind you we live in southern Texas, and it will be 90-degrees today, as it has been for the past few days now.

"You should probably go change clothes, that outfit will be a little hot today."

"Ugh! Okay."

I hear her shuffling around in her room, hangers sliding around, drawers opening and closing, the rustling of clothes being taken off and put on. Then she comes out with hot pink soccer shorts and a short sleeve purple shirt. These things do not remotely go together.

"I'll go get you a shirt that goes with those shorts, that purple one doesn't even *have* any pink in it."

"Uggghhh! Fiiine."

So I find her a pink shirt, she brushes her hair and teeth and goes with Dad to Lowe's. They come home, we all do our thing for a while, and a few hours later I am studying in the office while Dad plays a computer game and she comes in to watch Dad for a while. As she is leaving she's fiddling with her shirt, and I notice a little embellished flower on her shorts. On her butt. The flower that is supposed to be on the front pocket. The one that is now on her backside.

She's had her shorts on backward all day.

I wish I could say this is an uncommon occurrence with her, but oftentimes her dress is on backward, her shirt is on backward, her shorts (which is new to the category!)... I should be grateful she gets her jeans on right. But really?? Doesn't it feel weird to have your shorts on backward??

Punky Brewster... this is my
daughter's soul personified.
She has little friends in class that always come to school with perfectly fixed hair, matching bows, shoes that go with that outfit, etc. My daughter doesn't care if she is wearing a blue skirt with a yellow shirt and pink Crocs. She's doing good if she remembers to brush her hair in the morning let alone do something with it.

My youngest daughter... that is a very different animal. That little one always wants a dress (though she isn't picky which one) and wants ponytails all the time. She's going to be the bathroom hog, I can see it now. Fortunately my older daughter won't care, they shouldn't fight over it.

And there I go, using the "S" word, again. I guess time will tell.

EDIT: Her dad just told me that there was an outfit BEFORE the first long sleeve/black leggings combo, which was before I came out of the bedroom after getting up for the day.

Brace yourselves. It was red leggings. Purple tie-dye socks she made herself. Hot pink long-sleeve shirt (that made it to Round #2 where I came in).

This is our future, people. She's smart, just not fashion-savvy. Our first woman president will have the brains of Einstein but the fashion sense of a blind man (double whammy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment